Northampton University, Waterside Campus, Northampton
NT Killingley Ltd
- 6000 tonnes topsoil
- 3500 tonnes subsoil
- 300 tonnes horticultural sand
Scope of Work
Boughton supplied 6000 tonnes topsoil, 3500 tonnes subsoil and 300 tonnes horticultural sand for the development of soft landscaping, in new £330m Northampton University Waterside Campus.
The project headed by main contractor Bowmer & Kirkland and Kier Construction, utilised Boughton’s high quality intensive substrate to develop all soft landscaping across the 58-acre brownfield site that was formally the home of a coalfired power station.
Spread out across separate contracts, the soft landscaping required:
• This required the local sourcing and then spreading 50,000m3 of multiple growing mediums
• Supplying and installing 4 ha of wildflower seeding and 2.5 ha of amenity seeding
• Laying 1.6 ha of amenity turf and 0.8 ha of bespoke grown wildflower turf
• Planting 1,100 no. standard trees and semi-mature trees, 100 no. mature trees, and 80,000 no. mixed shrubs, herbaceous, ferns and grasses
The scheme had it’s challenges, as the ever developing and active site required meticulous planning to arrange deliveries of material, in order to cause as little disruption as possible. The soil was also spread across the entire site by Killingley instead of the builders. This ensured the soil was laid to correct depths, layers and contours, across significant volumes of very specific types of soil.
NT Killingley won the BALI 2019 award for Soft Landscaping Construction over £500k for this project. Boughton is proud to have supplied the soil used in this project.
For soils, composts or loam based growing media enquiries, please get in touch. We specialise in providing the right blend for any project: